Portfolio

Goodrich Four Corners
The post feet and step sill system of this late 1700's barn had extensive rot .

The post feet and step sill system of this late 1700's barn had extensive rot .
The haw mow in this barn spanned 24 feet between bents.  We created a new bent midspan in the mow in order to support the roof system.  Block and tackle is used to lift the new post into place.

The haw mow in this barn spanned 24 feet between bents. We created a new bent midspan in the mow in order to support the roof system. Block and tackle is used to lift the new post into place.
The original girt in the mow had broken midspan.  We were able to reuse both halves of the girt with minor adjustments.

The original girt in the mow had broken midspan. We were able to reuse both halves of the girt with minor adjustments.
This maple post had been repaired once before.  The new repair follows the lines of the first repair with little modification.

This maple post had been repaired once before. The new repair follows the lines of the first repair with little modification.
The hewn braces in this scribe ruled barn were mostly oak.  Shown here is a brace repaired with an oak free tenon.

The hewn braces in this scribe ruled barn were mostly oak. Shown here is a brace repaired with an oak free tenon.
Here are two maple braces being riven using wooden wedges.

Here are two maple braces being riven using wooden wedges.
Here are the two riven maple braces installed.

Here are the two riven maple braces installed.
Huge pine log girt and joists.

Huge pine log girt and joists.
All wood in this new floor system came from the owners woodlot.

All wood in this new floor system came from the owners woodlot.
The right side of this girt was repaired using part of another girt that was not salvageable.

The right side of this girt was repaired using part of another girt that was not salvageable.
Hewn hemlock post replicating the orignal joinery for the english tying joint.

Hewn hemlock post replicating the orignal joinery for the english tying joint.
This post was incased in dimensional lumber. Never a good sign.

This post was incased in dimensional lumber. Never a good sign.
When the lumber was removed from the post, shown in the previous picture, we found extensive rot to the plate,  tie beam and braces.  We never found the post.

When the lumber was removed from the post, shown in the previous picture, we found extensive rot to the plate, tie beam and braces. We never found the post.
The new bent can be seen here with downward braces.

The new bent can be seen here with downward braces.
Another view of the new bent.

Another view of the new bent.
On top of the new bent we added a purlin post and staining beam to help support the roof.

On top of the new bent we added a purlin post and staining beam to help support the roof.
We discovered a partial fracture in the purlin plate above the mow. In order to save this timber we added a lintel and fish plate .

We discovered a partial fracture in the purlin plate above the mow. In order to save this timber we added a lintel and fish plate .


Back to the top