Goodrich Four Corners, VT

Project Overview

This scribe rule, English barn dates from the late 1700’s. The posts in this barn are mix of maple, chestnut and white oak.  The plates and sills are white pine and the ties are mixed hardwoods. The girts are mostly maple and the braces are mostly red oak.  The barn consists of four bents with English tying joints.  Each bent has purlin posts and straining beams supporting a purlin plate. The rafters are hewn following the natural taper of the tree and varied in size between 7×7 and 5×5. The rafters are half-lapped and pegged at the peak.

This barn had significant rot at an intersection of the plate and tie where an adjacent roof had been attached.  Several of the posts required repairs to the tops and feet, and one had to be replaced altogether.  The sills on both eave walls had significant rot and many of the posts had sunk several inches.  We jacked many of the posts in order to straighten out the plate, and added new sills on both eaves. Most of the posts required some repairs, as did many of the girts and braces.  The most extensive repairs were at the intersection of the tie and plate.

The haymow in this barn had originally spanned over twenty feet.  The purlin plates above the mow had deflected several inches and caused some fracturing to the purlin plate. To address this, we created a new bent, in the same style as the original four, and placed it mid-span in the haymow.  We jacked the purlin plate back into the roof plane and supported it with a lintel on top of the new purlin posts and straining beam assembly.

The owners of this barn hired a sawyer cut all of the new wood for the repairs and new bent directly from the property. All of the hardwood repairs were done with maple, ash and oak (for the tenon repairs).  Some of the braces were riven, and the milled timbers were surfaced by adze or broadaxe.

Project Pictures

Goodrich Four Corners
The post feet and step sill system of this late 1700's barn had extensive rot .

The post feet and step sill system of this late 1700's barn had extensive rot .
The haw mow in this barn spanned 24 feet between bents.  We created a new bent midspan in the mow in order to support the roof system.  Block and tackle is used to lift the new post into place.

The haw mow in this barn spanned 24 feet between bents. We created a new bent midspan in the mow in order to support the roof system. Block and tackle is used to lift the new post into place.
The original girt in the mow had broken midspan.  We were able to reuse both halves of the girt with minor adjustments.

The original girt in the mow had broken midspan. We were able to reuse both halves of the girt with minor adjustments.
This maple post had been repaired once before.  The new repair follows the lines of the first repair with little modification.

This maple post had been repaired once before. The new repair follows the lines of the first repair with little modification.
The hewn braces in this scribe ruled barn were mostly oak.  Shown here is a brace repaired with an oak free tenon.

The hewn braces in this scribe ruled barn were mostly oak. Shown here is a brace repaired with an oak free tenon.
Here are two maple braces being riven using wooden wedges.

Here are two maple braces being riven using wooden wedges.
Here are the two riven maple braces installed.

Here are the two riven maple braces installed.
Huge pine log girt and joists.

Huge pine log girt and joists.
All wood in this new floor system came from the owners woodlot.

All wood in this new floor system came from the owners woodlot.
The right side of this girt was repaired using part of another girt that was not salvageable.

The right side of this girt was repaired using part of another girt that was not salvageable.
Hewn hemlock post replicating the orignal joinery for the english tying joint.

Hewn hemlock post replicating the orignal joinery for the english tying joint.
This post was incased in dimensional lumber. Never a good sign.

This post was incased in dimensional lumber. Never a good sign.
When the lumber was removed from the post, shown in the previous picture, we found extensive rot to the plate,  tie beam and braces.  We never found the post.

When the lumber was removed from the post, shown in the previous picture, we found extensive rot to the plate, tie beam and braces. We never found the post.
The new bent can be seen here with downward braces.

The new bent can be seen here with downward braces.
Another view of the new bent.

Another view of the new bent.
On top of the new bent we added a purlin post and staining beam to help support the roof.

On top of the new bent we added a purlin post and staining beam to help support the roof.
We discovered a partial fracture in the purlin plate above the mow. In order to save this timber we added a lintel and fish plate .

We discovered a partial fracture in the purlin plate above the mow. In order to save this timber we added a lintel and fish plate .


Back to the top